Health & safety ruins Christmas party time...oh no it doesn't!
11 December, 2013
The Christmas period should be a great time for businesses in the hospitality sector, but it also brings with it it's fair range of challenges. So, what are some of the thoughts that should be occupying your mind when looking at Christmas trading and H&S, here's a few:
- Staff training. Now's a great time for refresher training. Remind staff of their responsibilities, to themselves, colleagues and customers.
- Lifting - increased business is likely to mean an increase in the lifting of products, so cover the basics of materials handling.
- Slips and trips - more stock, decorations, electric cables leading to tree lights, they all represent a risk.
- More customers means that good crowd control becomes even more important - are fire exits clearly marked? Are all staff aware of evacuation procedures?
- Adverse weather - icy pavements / retail entrances, wet floors, snow brought in-store from boots, all present a danger and risk to employees and consumers.
- Party time - consumers are likely to be enjoying themselves, and getting into the party spirit, but you still have a duty of care towards them so make sure all daily and weekly checks are completed.
These are just a few examples of issues you need to be thinking about, there are of course many more.
For more information on this or other matters relating to health and safety in the workplace Contact Us.