New CDM Regulations
19 February, 2015
The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations are the main set of regulations for managing the health, safety and welfare of construction projects.
The new Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM Regs) come into force on 6 April 2015 and apply to all building and construction projects, regardless of the size, duration and nature of the work.
While the new regulations are going through Parliamentary approval, the draft guidance is available now to help companies prepare in advance of this date. When CDM 2015 comes into force on 6 April 2015, there will be a transitional period that will run for six months to 6 October 2015, and certain arrangements are in place for this period.
Some of the main changes will affect the following:
- Construction companies will have to comply with the revised CDM Regs from Monday 6 April 2015.
- Employers will need to provide information, instruction, training and supervision, with workers having their training needs assessed against the needs of the job and employers to meet the gap in skills and knowledge through appropriate training.
- Written construction phase plans will be required for all construction projects (including domestic client work) and a principal designer and principal contractor appointed when there is more than one contractor on a project.
- The full responsibilities of each key duty-holder, as defined by the regulations, are explained in the Industry guidance documents.
- The HS&E Test, which is taken by more than 500,000 people a year, will be refreshed and updated to reflect the new CDM Regs.
- Other core HS&E publications, including the GE700 Construction Site Safety and all NCC and Site Safety Plus courses, such as the Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) and the Site Supervisions Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS), will also be updated.
We are already preparing solutions to deal with the new CDM regulations, and offer a comprehensive CDM service so speak to us today and find out how our experts can help you prepare.